Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Today You Inspired Me

Tuesday July 27th, 2010



Today I thought I'd get an early start on writing, so here's the train experience. We boarded a train at 9:40 for Grand Central and the rails run directly along the Hudson. It's easy to see why my dad wants to sail up the Hudson; the view just across to the western side of the river is beautiful and lovely. Earlier during the ride I saw this broken brick castle-like building mounted on a small patch of land in the middle of the river. The architecture, even though it was broken and crumbling, was unbelievably lovely and a few pieces of the bridge were still intact. What I can't help but wonder is why it was abandoned. I think it was one of the most beautiful things I've seen. I wish that I could've taken a picture, but our speed stopped me. Anyways, as we approach the city our last minute preparations are being made. Tonight I will be dining with Barbara Smith, and tomorrow is CNN! Here's to an exciting 2 days in the city!

At grand central we began scavenger hunts. Regardless of my choice to not truly participate, I'm helping Jenn and Breanna with their's. There we had lunch, and then we made our way to the US Mission Briefing. There, seven women greeted us and spoke to us about how they entered their line of work and what their job entailed. As I listened to them speak I found myself very interested with their work, and how it sounded like a nice fit for me perhaps. I liked their ideas and how they did their line of work. Perhaps I've found my major; international relations.



Here are my notes from the US Mission. I felt that it was appropriate to add them here just because in my actual journal they cut my story in half right about here.

Following the US Mission Briefing we went to the Met. The Dress exhibit - oh my god. It was love. True love right there. Every single outfit in there was unbelievably gorgeous. For a lovely reminder of those outfits, I bought the book to go along with it. We also went to the medieval art section, French and American architecture, saw some really beautiful paintings, and we walked through the African sculptures briefly, which I just thought was so awesome. I wish we'd had more time to look around; there was so much there. I feel like someone could spend days there just looking around at everything.

Anyways, after the Met we walked to the Cosmopolitan club where we got the chance to dine with Eleanor's great-granddaughters and many other influential women. I was charmed enough to have the speaker of the night, Barbara Smith, at my table. In all honesty, she is one of the loveliest people I have ever met. A little about her; she is an opera singer who actually got the chance to meet Eleanor multiple times, and Eleanor helped her wpursue her dream of being a performer. She was a really kind womanand once she began singing I think we all started crying at the beauty and honesty in her voice. It was such a moving performance. I got to speak with her a little bit when she was finished and recieved a farwell hug. Eleanor's granddaughters were also so kind and nice. It was very nice speaking with them as well. And the dinner itself was fantastic. What a wonderful evening it was.

After our more than lovely dinner, we walked through Central Park to get to Julliard. My walk was rather eventful and interesting, but I'd rather not exploit all of the conversations simply because it was rather personal and well in all honesty it's not something to blog about. All I will say about it is that Eleanor Roosevelt was remarkable when she once said "we make our own history." I can see everyone here doing just that.

Once we got out of Central Park we went to Lincoln Center where more pictures were taken of course. By the way, if I wasn't already in love with the city that sealed the deal. It was amazing there, especially with everyone. I can't imagine life without any of these ladies anymore; I feel so accepted and catiness doesn't seem to exist. I like this place.

And then there's Julliard. It's so nice here, and tonight we're in a suite so we stayed up until lights out just talking in the common room. I've always wanted to come here, just to taste what a music career with Julliard would be like, but coming here has slowly released that dream and for that I am thankful. In a city that never sleeps, we have only grown closer. And to think, it's nearly half way done.




With Love,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment