Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Everything Awesome

Wednesday July 28th, 2010

This morning I woke up and looked out of Julliard and into the world. There was so much movement and depth to it and life all around. The movement of the city, the cars, the people, was graceful yet frantic and fast paced at a nice 6:27 am. How is it that a city could be so alive, so honest in the early morning when someone such as myself could rarely function at such an early time. I sat on the window ledge, even before waking Gabby, and just looked out into that old world that housed both sadness and joy, both love and hate, and it occurred to me that I really do live in a beautiful world of my own. I like to think that I can see the best of things, whether that is true or not, but GLW has been life changing. I've been changed for the better and so many ideas have become apparent. What a sad and lonely world this would be without such a place. If only everything were like this.

As I sit on the train writing, I not only think of what I am to write [I promise it's coming] but all the progress I've made and how this is coming to an end. Even though it saddens me, it also excites me to finish my "training" if you will. And also, to those special subscribers of mine [and trust me, you bryant park-ers know who you are] I have decided to start a blog. (How funny it is to write this now, and the fact that I'm questioning how to start it in my journal is making me laugh as well. Just the irony I suppose.)

Alright, so enough of the long, serious introductions. Today began at Julliard where there were dancers a plenty. That was a rather interesting breakfast with them there. (And as I mentioned before) I think staying at the school really helped me realize that it really wasn't for me. Inside the school I felt like a complete outsider, even though I was welcome. Something about it was just eerie to me, whether that be in my head or actually apparent in the life of a visitor to Julliard. Performing was always in the back of my head, but the visit confirmed that it wasn't for me. Anyways we left Julliard and made our way to the UN where I proceeded to purchase a lovely bag with one of my favorite quotes on it:

"One person can make a difference and everyone should try." -JFK
There's just something I really like about that quote; it's so true, that's all. Anyways, the tour: well, the best part of all was how we got to see the UN assembly in session. I thought that was just awesome, but unfortunately we were shuffled through. The thing about the UN was it had so many cool things and the information was all very interesting, it was just worn for some reason. Perhaps it was me, I suppose that could be to blame, but I did like it a lot. Not as much as the US Mission Briefing, which once again I'll say was really great, but it was pretty awesome as well.

After the UN, we went to our career shadowing sites, and I had the pleasure of going to CNN. Our tour was given by Deborah Feyerick, and she was really nice and approachable. She showed us all the behind the scenes work and also the set. Anderson Cooper was in the building for once, and she said we could've met him, but he was in a meeting. Talk about being so close, yet so far! And yes my dear Zoe, it did smell of him.

Since our tour was cut short we went to Time Square a little early so we got to shop for about 2 1/2 hours versus 1. Bre, Emma, and I split off and went shopping. We made our way to M&M world, the Hershey store, Starbucks, American Eagle, and Aerie. (That was more of a summary of our shopping experience; my journal has two - three pages full of just random shopping stories and how I bought tea cup underwear. Yes, I did in fact buy them, but that's beside the point. Anyways although it was a fabulous experience, and we had such a lovely time, it's not worth typing and bothering everyone's readings. So from here, I continue on.)

We left Time Square at five and proceeded to get pizza, then march to Bryant Park. It was there that we ate a delicious dinner and chatted in the grass. Bryant Park was so lovely; the grass was soft, adn there was a live orchestra playing across the way. Even though I couldn't see them from where I was sitting I was able to slightly hear their melodies riding on the breeze. In the grass we simply chatted about everything, including out dramatic lives, or rather mostly mine, and how I should begin a blog. I think I might actually. Blogging sounds totally exciting. (And that it is my dear friends.) Anyways as we sat together Justine also told us about the organization she works for falling whistles. It's basically to stop having child soldiers in the Congo. The way she speaks about it is inspiring; you can see the passion in her eyes. (Through out the course of the week I heard it at least four times, and not once did I tire of hearing it.) Falling whistles is to help a great cause, and I think I may be purchasing a whistle sometime in the nearby future.

Continuing on, my voyage home via train was pleasant. I really got the chance to speak with Arielle and we both really were able to open up to each other. It was, as Gabriella would say, awesome. Anyways, my last day in the big apple was like every other day with GLW; a pure success.

With Love,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment