Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lead

Thursday July 29th, 2010


My dear readers,

Today was just as busy as any other day. It began with a visit from the Hudson Valley Playback Theatre. We did a bunch of acting exercises to warm up, such as the mirror exercise. For that Alley was my partner, and we were laughing so hard at some points just because of the silly actions we had come up with. Our largest activity with them was called sculptures where we got into groups of six and had to pose, as a group, to go along with a specific theme. Every round had a different theme, and each theme was different. Not only did we have to innovatively think up appropriate and coherent poses, but we also had to work off of one another adn work together. I really enjoyed sculptures; it allowed us to be imaginative.

Following that was Ginny Corsi's workshop called "Leadership Today." I managed to take notes, but thinking back, I can't remember the exact theme of our discussions, but I think that's simply due to my exhaustion to of traveling and the fact that I hadn't been tired enough to fall asleep the previous night. Anyways, she had some great things to say, and I really liked how she defined her definition of a leader, and I also really liked how she said that normal had never existed. I found quite a bit of truth in that. I critically listened and thought about her presentation, and from that I took what I agreed with and what I disagreed with, but I think that's really what it's all about. It's listening to your own beliefs while also trying to understand the beliefs of others, and coming to the decision to agree or disagree. Like Krisy said, it's ok to disagree.

After that we had a workshop on beauty myths. In the first exercise we had to imagine ourselves gaining and losing weight and what emotions came from the changes. To be perfectly honest, I had never wanted to escape so much. It really freaked me out, and when I say that I don't mean the gaining and losing weight aspect. Just something about it really made me uncomfortable. I sat there almost shaking just trying to keep my eyes closed; escape would've tasted so sweet. I was able to take a lot from this workshop, and I think it was one my favorites actually. My way to avoid this unhealthy myth is to tell myself I am beautiful even if I'm having a terrible hair day or whatever seems to be going wrong. Basically we discussed real beauty vs. media beauty, and I am really glad that we got to listen to her speak. I think it was, and will continue to be, very influencial to many of us.

Another activity we did today was a hike to top cottage. It was a very pleasant hike, and the woods weren't overly hot either so I didn't mind it. Top cottage was really nice. Only the main room was furnished, but it was still lovely. Outside we played "Honey if you love me," one of my favorite camp games from Camp Wightman. I always thought it was so silly and that's why I loved it most. Another highlight of the hike was that inbetween the hike and dinner I learned how to play grass. It was pretty epic if I do say so myself.

For dinner we got to meet Doris Marks and Shirley Jackson, two women who had known Eleanor as children. Shirley had known her a little better since she had been friends with the help. Eleanor had invited her and her family up to go swimming and for picnics often, and she even got to drive around with FDR in his customized ford! They were both so interesting, and I really liked hearing the stories about Eleanor.

So, social justice projects... Well, I think I've got an alright one that I hopefully can achieve. It's called "art for earth" or simply just eARTh, and basically it's an art club that also doubles as a supporter and donator to enviromentally conscious organizations. By art, I mean anything (music, writing, painting, sculting, etc.) and to gain money to donate concerts and art shows will be held. (Even more recently, I thought of also setting up donation tables at every school concert we have.) It'll also be open to "nonartists" who are interested in helping the local enviroment as well. I hope I'm successful in this; it truly worries me that I won't be able to create it or anything. Only time will tell.

So yes, that was pretty much my day. Oh, I did start decorating my bag. On one side it says "Lead" and on the back I will write a quote, but I haven't yet determined which one. I'm thinking "we make our own history." Something about it I love.

With Love,
Becca


P.S Martha is the best grass and leaf player I've ever met.

No comments:

Post a Comment