Monday, August 23, 2010

"[Eleanor] Was a Political Animal"

July 30th, 2010

Today's happenings began with a group discussion led by Kris. It wasn't an ordinary group discussion, in fact, it was one that I enjoyed very much so. So many topics were covered, and it encouraged us all to have a strong finish. We also reviewed respect, and basically (and yes, I realize that this is overused in my explanations) decided to try to get together and to finish this great session together. The meeting was successful; I will be finishing strong.

The first workshop of the day was by Mike Stallard, on of Kris's mentors. It was on relationships and the importance of them. His workshop was probably one of my many favorites, and it was easy to see that he was very passionate about his work. He wrote a book called "Fired Up or Burned Out" which I'll be getting a copy of at some point. I took quite a bit of notes on it, and I really enjoyed it.

After that we had our community service projects, and I was assigned to Briggs farm (New Horizons). We did some weeding, but most of the time we got a tour of the facility and where the animals resided. I took many pictures of the llamas. Krisy was given this absolutely massive zucchini. (For some reason I feel like it had a name, or it should have had one, but then again I could be completely off the mark on that one.)

So, we also had a Q&A with the founder of the White House project Marie Wilson. The White House project is an organization that is training women for leadership roles, ad it encourages women to become active in political roles. We began asking, so to complete my goal of speaking up at least once I decided to ask a question. Mine was on what she thought the future of the feminist movement would be. I hope it was a good one, but I suppose that there really aren't any bad questions. She was a very interesting woman and much of what she said was so apparently real to me. I liked listening to her speak; it was the highlight of the day.

So, favorite picture of the night? It had to be of Colette hugging the trash can. Or basically any of the ones from peer group tonight. Peer group is always great, and I love talking with them and reflecting on the day with them.

I can't even begin to believe that tomorrow is the last full day. And here's to the best week I've ever had.

With Love,
Becca




Alright, so I am rather disappointed that this entry didn't seem as long as the others, but as the week continued on I found less time to write. I think I wrote most of the following day actually, so that didn't help my case either. Anyways, sorry it wasn't one of the better entries, but on a lighter note, if this can be considered a light note, this was where I made it halfway through my notebook! I was pretty excited at the time, for a reason I still am not sure of.

No comments:

Post a Comment