Saturday, January 29, 2011

Barbie Vs Real Woman

January 29th, 2011

My original social justice project just isn't working - other clubs aren't interested in collaborating, and to create a new club so late in the year has been dubbed "unthinkable." Lately, I've been trying to find something that I can actually accomplish that also caters to my interests. Lately I've found myself reading more into eating disorders, and having experienced one first hand, I feel like it's time for me to tackle the beauty myth. So far it's just in brainstorm mode, but I'm working on it. I am more than confident that I can work to help this.


Lately I've been toying with the idea of creating tee shirts, and my first idea was Barbie. She is the perfect example of hyperbole, or exaggeration, of the all American beauty. Although many don't consider how toys may affect the thought process, it is those toys which build the first layer of our thought foundations. Barbie's curvaceous body, yet somehow completely skinny at the same time is unrealistic. Her long neck and swooping back give her sex appeal. Yet do women really look like this? No, yet by the age of four or five we've already associated ourselves with this Utopian woman. I'm not blaming Barbie completely for the outbreak in eating disorders or having caused mine, but I think that she only added to a tough fight. Enjoy the article ladies.

Barbie Vs. Real Woman

With Love,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment